Office of Safe Schools
The Office of Safe Schools serves as a central repository for best practices, training standards and compliance oversight in all matters regarding school safety and security. Our mission is to support districts in providing a safe learning environment for students and educators.
Primary goals of the office:体育投注网站 Prevention, Intervention, and Emergency Preparedness Planning
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act (MSDHSPSA)
体育投注网站In the wake of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that took the lives of 17 Florida students and educators, the 2018 Florida Legislature passed and the Governor signed SB 7026, the . This legislation outlines significant reforms to make Florida schools safer, while keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally ill and dangerous individuals.
- Creation of the and a description of the
- Allowing sheriffs to establish a
- The mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Establishment of the
- New requirements for mental health services and training
- Requirements for a at each public school
- for each public school
- Appropriations of funding to address identified school safety needs
In 2019, the Legislature passed Senate Bill 7030, known as the . Governor Ron DeSantis signed the bill into law and it includes the following provisions:
- Development of a standardized behavioral threat assessment instrument
- Additional duties for the Office of Safe Schools to include compliance montioring
- Changes to the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program
- Requirements for districts to promote the mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Requirement for the Commissioner of Education to oversee compliance with the MSDHSPSA
- Charter schools must comply with specific school safety statutes
- Expedited transfer of student records from school to school
- Clarification of district responsibilities for school safety
If you have any questions, please contact the Florida Department of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.